Friday, November 04, 2005

 

More griping about work

I'm getting really tired of the nature of work I'm having to do to earn money. Almost exclusively lately it has consisted of applying afterthought hacks to software we've rolled out for our various clients. Hardly anything new or exciting just a lot of bread and butter crap that has to be done to maintain cashflow. Relying on cashflow is lame, this is supposed to be fucking capitalism. We need some investment in our company so that we can spend time innovating instead of making cheese. I'm tired of making cheese and churning butter, and would love to develop some standard librariesand tools for rapid ajax-enabled web-application development (raewad). The formgen code I wrote has allowed us to take on a lot of little moneymaking projects that we couldnt have done if I approached that Seminars application as a oneoff hackfest. Instead I painstakingly attempted to develop a reusable framework focussed around abstraction of form specifications and sql generation. And its worked well, save for some hubris causing it to be a little overused in situations where it might have just made more sense to write a one line sql select statement, and the fact remains that I spent a significant amount of my own free time developing it. And yet it's S. who makes the money.

I should leave this company and just do my own thing. But the reality is that I dont _WANT_ to work for money, so I'm deathly afraid that quitting would be the path to homelessness and starvation. And yet deep down I have hope that God might have something in store for me if/when I quit.

Whats a guy to do?

Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?