Tuesday, December 27, 2005

 

Why pay for recorded music?

I have no idea. Just thinking of this stuff after seeing this story on slashdot about the WTO being on Russia's ass about them not giving a whit about American shit "Intellectual Property".

I have a problem with paying for recorded music. Once it is recorded, it is literally just a string of bits, infinitely replicable without any loss in quality. If it costs nothing to manufacture the copy that I want to obtain, which it doesnt if we dont involve any physical media, then what is the value added to the copy that would make me want to pay for it? There simply is none. I dont care to have a physical artifact, I just want to listen to the nice music. People like me will NOT accept the idea of paying for plain recorded music, especially when we also really dont want to have to deal with the physical media.

The only music I've paid for since 1996 has been live, and I expect that arrangement to continue indefinitely.

Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?