Sunday, February 19, 2006

 

Whole Village Farm -- and Blacksmithing?

I've paid a couple of visits to Whole Village farm. Once for an orientation meeting. Again for a work bees session. I injured my finger at the work bees. I want to go back there though. Was thinking of attending tonights meeting of the round, but not so sure I'm up for the drive at the moment.

I am still trying to figure out what I'm going to do in the future and at the moment buddying up with some eco village types seems to be one of the most sensible things to do.

Another sensible thing to do is obtain skills that will be more useful in an era of powerdown. I dont really have any -- I do computer programming / web applications shit for money to live with. That could be a problem in the future for me and so if I want to avoid back breaking field work maybe it would be a good idea to obtain some slighly more interesting back breaking skills -- like blacksmithing.

Dont get me wrong tho -- I do want to learn the ins and outs of organic biodynamic farming -- But I can tell you already I want to know this stuff more out of a matter of survival than personal hobby interest.

Time and time again I've proven to myself that I am only really capable of learning something by actually doing it. Research and reading helps to lay a foundation but I know I never really "get" any new topic until I actually do something with the knowledge. Trying to get back into that.

I also think I need to lay off the pot.

Comments:

You know what would be cool: finding a professional blacksmith and applying for an apprenticeship. I don't know where you'll find professional blacksmiths, but I'm sure they're around. (I don't think everything is done by machines...?) Although it might be easier to find them in Europe and third-world countries. One of Everdale's key partners, their beekeeper, Jay Mowat, is an amateur blacksmith. Last year the Everdale interns got to spend one of their field trip days learning how to make fire pokers in his workshop. But he's just an amateur; I doubt he takes apprentices.

But yeah, I know how you feel! I so want to build up some hands-on survival skills. I too think the only way to get them is by actually doing them the way they're done in the real world.

And yeah, it might not hurt to reduce your intake of pot if you can... :)
 
Thats pretty cool about Jay Mowat :) The course I'm looking at is by Thak (thak.ca - Robb Martin) who is based a little north-westish of Guelph (if memory serves me -- gotta look at the map again). He offers a bunch of different courses from beginner to advanced, and so I'm looking at the beginner course.

I also corresponded with someone who does blacksmithing in Burlington by the name of Kevin Peffers who reccommended I also check out Darrell Markewitz of warehamforge.ca and the www.ontarioblacksmiths.ca site.

Will update if/when I actually make it out and learn something.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?