Wednesday, June 21, 2006

 

Google video test

I decided to try and upload a video to google video. This was after I decided to try messing around with DV some more and find a bloody satisfactory model for usage. I've settled. I think what I'll do is just accept that the highest quality of video is always only going to be on the DV tapes themselves and will probably degrade over time as they become unreadable or whatever. As for transferring video to the PC, well DV sucks. The files are just too unweildly, and the interlaced video is just gay. So what I'm going to do is just take a very lassaiz faire attitide, it is what it is, I only have so much disk space etc. So I'll deinterlace, resize to 512x384, and 2pass Xvid encode at 3000kbps and keep those on disk as "high quality originals" or at least, suitable for working with in editing programs. Maybe I'll change that to 4500kbps or higher, maybe not do the resize. But the de-interlace and xvid encode at high bitrate are going to be staples of my operation. And then, edit away, mix up, add text and effects or whatever, and then output at a more bandwidth friendly bitrate like 1000kbps (all the TeeVee shows I dl are about 1000kbps and they look fine). With the lower bitrate final output I dont think there will be much difference between 3000kbps xvid source files versus raw DV source files, so I think my little operating proceduce should work greatly to reduce my aversion to actually working with DV. Just bite the bullet son! ... Ok here is the video I was messing with and posted to google video. And of course, the quality is further degraded there.

Comments:

Good Dialog.


Actually, it was sort of funny somehow.

When you pushed the digital zoom into the apartment the balconies and building looked like paper torn from a booklet. How did your compression choices work out? HDs are cheap these days.
 
I think a lot of that effect was the combination of my hand shaking slightly plus the cams built in stabilization recovery, added to the fact that I was observing through about 500m of downpour.

That being said, I think the compression worked out well, the 3000kbps version is acceptably close to the original DV. What you see in google video is a reprocessing of the 1000kbps xvid into their flash format dealo.

If you like I can arrange for the 94mb 3000kbps version or the 20mb 1000kbps version for you to dl and compare how the compression affects it. Of particular note is the part right before the lightning scares me where I am peering through sheeting rain, the original DV version the rain is very clear to see, the 3000kbps is close, but by 1000kbps it is degraded a lot, so with the googlevideo further at that point you can barely tell its raining there ha.
 
Oh as far as HD's being cheap ... I have to get a little bit more usage out of this DV cam first. I wont even look at HD right now. Plus I dont have any HD video equipment. Ha my TeeVee only has RCA inputs not even S-Video let alone HD. Teeehee and I only have nine hundred dollerydoos at the moment I need something more inspiring to blow it on. Maybe lab equipment.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?