Sunday, November 05, 2006

 

Surround sound

So I'm a total lamewad .. i never had a surround system before, but today I decided that I wanted one -- plus I want a powered sub on my little home stereo setup for the PC and for my music. Well, so I decided to get a Logitech z-5500 Sub and satellites set. I got it all set up, and then realized I'm going to need a new soundcard to watch movies in surround. But I can run it in a streo mode where it can have 3 stereo devices hooked up. Well I just need one, but whatever. So I get that going, then I realize, OMFG this setup has LOUSY mid-range response. I mean freakin lousy, attenuated, wheres the fuckin guitar, or the midriff, oh yeah I can hear it if I listed fecking real closely like! Ok, so I'm a little disapointed since I laid down over $320+tax for this. Well, I was _VERY_ happy with it watching a movie like "Monster House", but what can I do about music ... So I tried using the stereo X 2 mode where it uses both front and rear speakers to do L+R, so 2xL and 2XR ... and I decided to hook up my older, larger than the bundled satellites, two way speakers from my old panasonic set. Those speakers are ok, I just could never get enough bass out of them. But now I just want them to handle midrange ... and they do OK :) So things are decent now. The only one problem is once I have a nice surround sound card to run the 6 channel setup, I'm going to want to actually use the bundled rear-satellite speakers. At that time I'll probably have to rig up a switch to change the rear channel speakers between the old-good-mid-range-response speakers that I have up front and the rear satellites that I will mount above the sofa for watching movies. But I think that will get the most out of this thing, as best as I can do without having spent the real big bucks on a fully separate system. Also with this slight bit of cheese that I'm doing here I dont have any control over the frequency ranges being send to my mid-range speakers, and I'm sure I could get them to handle some more slightly lower frequencies than what the built-in satellite speaker crossever will send out. Ah well. Silly impulse buy I guess but at least now I have some bass and distortion-free loudness here. Really worth the money? I dont really feel like it, plus having to engineer the living room to accomodate the giant sub was non-trivial. Bah, its in and it works and it DOES (now with the mids) sound better than the old panasonic unit I was using before.

Oh PS the Cogeco BT issue persists. I dont know what more can come of trying to get them to admit to it. I am thinking of just upgrading to business service, then chewing them out when it doesnt work for my business needs and tell them they can fix it or I am cancelling.

Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?