Wednesday, October 20, 2010

 

western digital hard drive RMA fun

About 3 years ago I bought a 500GB western digital hard disk. It worked fine for about 8 months I think then it started causing my World of Warcraft to crash from random disk read errors. I pulled the disk and was going to do RMA but around that time is when I needed to move from Ontario to BC and dealing with hard drive stuff was not a top priority. I bought a replacement drive just to have another working 500gb disk, with the intention of some time after moving to actually complete the RMA for the dead drive.

But I'm a lazy bastard and as I had a lot of extra disk space still I didnt make doing the RMA a priority, especially since I'd checked sometime in 2009 to see how much time I had for warranty and it showed I had until October 2010.

Fast forward to October 2010 when another of my disks started acting up (a 750GB seagate one). Ok so I figure if i need to do a RMA on the seagate (which I did need to do) I may as well get this old WD RMA dealt with. So I do the WD RMA first and actually find out that I have warranty left on the WD drive for another 5 days or so. LOL. So I complete the RMA and have now just gotten an email saying they've shipped my replacement part. And guess what, my replacement part is a 750GB disk :D ... I guess they ran out of 500GB.

Lesson here is that procrastination is perfectly fine and can lead to unexpected coolness.

Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?